Let’s start this post off saying – this recipe is not mine. When I was in Sydney for work last, a lady in my team gave me one of her bliss balls and it was love at first bite. I immediately asked for the recipe and because she’s made so many in her time, she wrote it on a post-it note and handed it straight over.
I’ve found that bliss balls are usually dry, crumbly, anything-but-bliss-inducing bites of food but these, these are fudgy, addictive and best of all, health. There’s a continuous supply in our fridge, Bella will happily eat these instead of junk food and I make sure I pack some with me when I’m out and about.
~ this recipe makes about 40 bliss balls (of which, I eat about 4 at a time but who’s counting) ~
15 medjool dates
1.5 cups almond meal
1 cup desiccated coconut, plus extra for rolling.
1/2 cup roasted cashews
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/3 cup raw cacao
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Remove the pits from the dates and cover in boiling water. Set aside while you get everything else sorted.
- In a food processor, add the rest of the ingredients and then process until the cashews are finely chopped.
- Drain the dates and discard the water – I’m sure some genius will think of a good use for this water but that genius is not me. Add the dates to the food processor and process until the dates are fully incorporated into the mix.
- Take about tablespoon size dollops and roll into bite-sized balls. Roll these in the extra coconut. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Devour as many as you wish and refrigerate the rest in an air-tight container for later.